Saturday, February 5, 2011

Getting My Feet Wet

Where to begin with Jane?  First I need to give you a little background.  We had moved to Greenville in October of 1998.  In November I went to a 3 night retreat over my birthday.  It had rained during the retreat.  The soil here is clay and is slick when wet.  To make a long story short-I broke my ankle chasing my dog Bear who decided to go walk-about.  He went into a not-so friendly neighbor’s yard (even to this day) and I slipped in a wet spot.  This was the day after my birthday.  I heard it break.  Luckily Stan was out with us and he went and brought the truck and I hopped in on one foot and went to ER on a Sunday afternoon.  It was dislocated and I broke the 3 wings off the bone.  I had surgery and had 5 screws put in my ankle.  I also spent the night in the hospital.  Normally it would be outpatient surgery, but I had to do it on a Sunday.

When we left Nacogdoches, my friend Paula said we needed to get a computer so we could keep in touch easier.  So we did.  She said I needed to join the Dear Jane mailing list as she said it was the friendliest place on the Internet.  What else could I do?  I was sitting here with a broken ankle, nothing really unpacked for my sewing room before I did this nasty deed to myself.  So I joined the DJ list.

I agree with her, the list is a very friendly place.  You can learn a lot-if you ask, even if you lurk.  I have been lurking for over 12 years.  Even back then they had a BOW-Block of the Week.  Paula was going to start her quilt with the BOW for the start of January 1999 which was G-1, Indianapolis.  She said she was on the 10 year plan.  She is now on the 20 year plan. 

Well, I decided I was not going to do the BOW; I couldn’t figure out how to do it.  Even reading the hints on the list.  So I kept looking through the book trying to figure out a strategy, and really, I came up with nothing but to jump right in with what I knew I could do and that was hand piecing.  I knew I could hand piece all these blocks but I also knew there was no way that way going to happen either.  I prefer to machine piece.  But I also think that every quilter or those who just piece should know how to hand piece as I think it helps you when it comes to machine piecing; a lot of things are the same in machine piecing as they are in hand piecing.  And I have found those that have not hand pieced cannot do the like procedures in machine piecing.  My first 2 quilts were hand pieced except for the sashing.

I took the 6 yards background I had purchased, picked out a red fabric and proceeded to hand piece J-5.  Then I proceeded to hand piece and hand appliqué D-11, Snow Crystal, also red. I actually completed 2 blocks on January 24, 1999.  My ankle boot I am pretty sure was off and I was walking without it, but I know it hurt me for a long time after that.  I remember sitting here on the couch sitting with my legs propped up, piecing my blocks.

It was soon after that I read on ‘The List’ that the amount of background fabric needed listed in the book was was wrong.  So I knew it was time I came up with a plan-a background plan.

So in 12 weeks time, things changed…we moved, a broken ankle, foreign world of computers, an Internet mailing list, and I finally took the plunge that I said I wouldn’t-I started the sampler quilt with no instructions.

Next time-the plan…

Sew Having Fun!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your post on repro fabric lovers and found your blog. About a setting for 11 embroidered blocks - on point, four across, then three, then four. Or 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2. Same setting but longwise - doll quilt for sure!

    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Dear Jane quilt. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing more about your Dear Jane journey, I'm nearly finished mine and thinking about starting another one. I really like the colours on your one.

    ReplyDelete